Same Sex Relationships: Civil Unions

Which States and Territories allow Civil Unions or Civil Partnerships in Australia

Unfortunately not all Australian States and Territories allow couples to have a Civil Union or Civil Partnership.

Where a State or Territory does have provision for couples to utilise a Civil Union scheme, the Civil Union or Civil Partnership is usually only recognised in the particular State or Territory in which the Civil Union or Civil Partnership occured.

Only some States and Territories allow an official ceremony.

Same sex couples are able to have Civil Unions or Civil Partnerships in:

  • Australian Capital Territory;
  • Tasmania;
  • Victoria;
  • New South Wales (no official ceremony)
  • Queensland (no official ceremony).



Queensland did briefly have legislation allowing a Civil Partnership with an official ceremony however after a change in government in 2012, that legislation was amended to only allow for the Registration of a Same Sex Relationship.


Please show support for our free service by liking our Facebook Page