Who can make an Application for a Protection Order


In Queensland an Application for a Domestic Violence Protection Order can be made by:

  • The Police (usually after they have attended an incident); or
  • By the “Aggrieved” (the person who needs the Protection of a Domestic Violence Protection Order).

For the Act to apply, a specific type of relationship must exist between the persons. 

Those type of relationships will include people who:

  • Either are, or have been in the past, married or in a de facto relationship;
  • Are the biological parents of a child of the relationship (even if it was a one night stand);
  • Either are, or have been in the past, engaged or betrothed;
  • Either are dating, or have in the past dated, but only if their lives became enmeshed while dating;
  • Are related by blood or marriage;
  • Is regarded as a relative, if their culture is such that the concept of a relative is somewhat wider;
  • An informal care relationship (ie. where one person is dependent on another for activities of daily living, such as with a carer relationship.

From 17 September 2012, under the changes to the legislation, the type of relationship covered by the Act is expanded to include:

  • a person with “parental responsibility” for a Child;
  • people in a cyber relationship;
  • More types of “dating relationships” since the requirement for their lives to have become “enmeshed” has been removed.


Please show support for our free service by liking our Facebook Page

Find Us on Facebook

Content By:
Michelle Beatty

Other Questions answered in the Family & Domestic Violence Section


You might also be interested in the following sections of our website
(access by clicking below or from the left side Navigation Menu)


Publishing Rights:
You may republish our Fact Sheets in your website, newsletter, or book, on the condition that you agree to leave the article, author’s signature, and all links completely intact as well as make reference to the fact it is provided courtesy of:


Middle Aged Man

"I don't want to
lose everything.
I need to know
where I stand.

Middle Aged Man

"I can't afford
legal costs. I
need help to
do as much as
I can myself.


  • Do It Yourself
  • Avoid Legal Costs
  • Reduce Stress
  • Know Your Rights
  • Understand your
  • Prepare your case


Self Acting? We can give DIY Assistance


Get Important Updates, Tips, Free Advice Sessions by liking us on Facebook


Full List of Free Fact Sheets available on DIY Family Law Australia's Website


Ask DIY Family Law Australia a Question
Your Logo Could Be Here


Your large size company logo could be here