Registration of De Facto Relationship


Centrelink has a registration system such that, people in a de facto relationship (including same sex couples) receive any Centrelink benefits, their relationship can and should be registered with them. 

De facto couples (including same sex couples) can have their relationship registered in:

  • Queensland;
  • New South Wales;
  • Victoria;
  • Tasmania;
  • Australian Capital Territory.

There is no registration system in:

  • Western Australia;
  • Northern Territory;
  • Norfolk Island;
  • South Australia (although same sex couples can register their relationship through a “Domestic Partnership Agreement” document).

In December 2007, the then Prime Minister said the Australian Federal Government would work on a national relationship register, similar to the one in Tasmania, which would officially record an existing de facto (including same sex) relationship. 

A national register has not yet been established. 



Content By:
Michelle Beatty


See also in the De Facto Relationships Section


You might also be interested in the following sections of our website
(access by clicking below or from the left side Navigation Menu)


Publishing Rights:
You may republish our Fact Sheets in your website, newsletter, or book, on the condition that you agree to leave the article, author’s signature, and all links completely intact as well as make reference to the fact it is provided courtesy of:

Middle Aged Man

"I don't want to lose
everything. I need to
know where I stand.

Middle Aged Man

"I can't afford legal
costs. I need to do as
much as I can myself.


  • Do It Yourself
  • Avoid Legal Costs
  • Reduce Stress
  • Know Your Rights
  • Understand your Obligations
  • Preparation is Power

MRB Law Logo


Your Logo Could Be Here


Your large size company logo could be here


Your Logo Could Be Here


MRB Law Logo


DIY Family Law Australia Logo